Chicago - Film Review (NO SPOILERS)

October 08, 2014



Director: Rob Marshall



In the bustling hive of 1920’s Chicago, Roxie Hart is accused of murder and set to face trial, but the question is, will she come out of it alive?



Now I like a good musical as much as the next person, and I was surprised that I had never seen this movie (All That Jazz is a dance fave) and I have to say it was enjoyable. The songs were quick and catchy and good quality (there wasn’t that typical ‘boring’ song that every musical seems to possess). I loved the dance sequences, choreographed by the late, great Bob Fosse, but I couldn’t help feeling that something was missing…


I don’t know whether it was the story line (it continually switches between reality and scenes happening in Roxie’s imagination) or something I can’t quite put my finger on but all I know is that this would be much, much better live as I feel that the audience would get a taste of the atmosphere of 1920’s Chicago.


Overall, I found this film watchable and the songs catchy but overall lacking in that ‘20’s vibe’. Nevertheless, I’m going to score this film an even 5/10 because it was watchable but lacked the WOW factor…



Fun Fact: Renée Zellweger had no singing or dancing training prior to filming this film!


Back to top

You Might Also Like

0 comments