Thirteen Reasons Why - Book Review (contains spoilers)

August 01, 2014



Thirteen Reasons Why – Jay Asher
This book is different to the things I normally read, for starters it’s about a girl who commits suicide and leaves behind seven tapes naming and shaming the people who led to her death. Deep I know! So I was intrigued because I hadn’t read a book quite like it, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. At the beginning of the book, the reasons are shallow and childish but as I progressed reading the book I found that the first reasons acted as a snowball for the reasons at the end of the book. The scenarios gradually got worse to the point where you, as a reader, understand Hannah’s reasons for killing herself.

Although, the book is written from the point of view of a boy called Clay whom Hannah had a crush on, now at the beginning of the book Hannah states that everyone on the tapes contributed to her suicide, but Clay doesn’t. I found this rather disappointing because I wanted this character that I had come to sympathise with to have a shady past as well, and not be just simply an innocent bystander. I wanted to hate Clay whilst being inside his head, if that’s makes sense and doesn’t make me sound like a maniac! This led to what could have been a huge plot twist, become a bit of a let down.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something a little different to read.
Score: 7/10

Back to top

You Might Also Like

0 comments