Bunheads - Book Review (contains spoilers)

August 04, 2014



Bunheads – Sophie Flack

So I’ve been dancing since I was four, and from the age of five I decided I wanted to be a ballerina (until I learnt how much work it would take so I settled for Princess instead) and when I saw this book on the shelf in WH Smith, it literally screamed “READ ME!” so I bought it. Let me tell you BIG MISTAKE! The tagline of the book was ‘How do you choose between your first love and your first solo?’ so I thought, “I love dance, and I love romance novels, this book seems PERFECT for me!” I was soooo wrong. This book literally contains page after page of menial ballet rehearsal time, description of the ballet dances which (unless you’ve practised ballet before) you won’t understand and not one but TWO crappy ‘love’ interests.


Hannah, the main character, meets Jacob in her Uncle’s restaurant and they have a good chat, exchange numbers and then leave (that’s on page 38) and Jacob doesn’t make another re-appearance until page 58! That’s twenty pointless pages filled with the words; barre, plié, piqué, balancé and développé not to mention other babble about stretches and what hairstyle the ballerinas have in that day. I GET IT; YOU ARE A BALLERINA, LETS GET BACK TO THE LOVE STORY! And then, while at an over described Christmas party, Hannah meets ANOTHER man who wants her attention, Matt, who is basically a rich man who loves the ballet. And then the story goes back and forth from ballet class, to meeting with Jacob to meeting with Matt and so on and so forth, until right at the end of the novel, Hannah decides that she doesn’t want to be a ballet dancer anymore and that she wants to travel and go to university (Something that was NEVER mentioned throughout the whole book as she was too busy telling us how much she LOVED ballet and that’s all she’d ever wanted to do, then BAM, suddenly she wants to travel and leave the ballet!) To say I felt disappointed was an understatement. I was promised a love story and instead all I got was a book full of ballet terms and about 5 pages full of the love story, and even that was rushed!

I’m going to score this book 1/10 because there is no way I believe the blurb when it says “Now she [Hannah] must choose between her lifelong dream or what could be the love of her life…” it should be changed to “Join Hannah as she babbles about menial stuff like hairstyles and ballet practice for 294 pages and then just randomly leaves the ballet because of a rushed last-minute character development and slightly forced ‘love story.”

And, in the words of Forrest Gump, “That’s all I have to say about that.”



Back to top

You Might Also Like

0 comments