Why I didn't enjoy Freshers' Week and it's OK if you didn't too!

January 14, 2016

Moving to university is a scary and daunting time in many students' lives and for many Freshers' week is the prime time to get to know everyone and have a great time before lessons start. However, some people - like me - didn't really enjoy Freshers' Week and there's nothing wrong with that, it's not for everyone as there is a lot to take in in the first week or so...



As a someone who is extremely close with her family, moving away from home was the first daunting step of many to come over the course of Freshers' Week. Don't get me wrong, my uni room isn't terrible but the breeze-block walls did give the feel of a prison for the first few days until I got settled and then there's the fact that I was miles away from home and couldn't simply walk downstairs to my kitchen and have my mum make me a cuppa or something to eat. I did a lot of crying due to homesickness over the course of Freshers' Week and, in all honesty I wasn't in the mood for clubbing - I just wanted to go to sleep and wake up in my own bed back at home. 


Freshers' isn't for everyone
Then there was the bombardment of information that was spewed at me during my welcome talks - names of my tutors, email addresses, how to log onto your student account, recommended reading, assessment dates etc. By the end of the week I felt like I needed another holiday and not to be starting my course! 

Despite the fact that I've just made university life sound like a chore and not something thousands of students across the country would elect to do each year - I have settled in to uni life and you can too! If, like me you had or are having any doubts about whether you want to go to university, I wouldn't let Freshers' Week deter you. I've been at university for 3 months and Freshers' Week seems like a distant memory, I know loads of people who enjoyed the first week but, I've made just as many memories over the course of the 3 months since I had settled in and wasn't longing to come home. But if you loved Freshers' Week, that's ok too, it's not for everyone but I know a lot of people enjoy it, I think it's like Marmite - you either love it or you hate it!

Lottie :)

Back to top

You Might Also Like

0 comments